Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Survival


 
Imagination

When I was a little girl, I wanted to grow up to be a politician.  How’s that for imagination?  But I had great hopes of the things I could do in politics.  I was going to go to law school.  I was going to advocate for women and children and other underrepresented minorities.  I was going to save the world.  And because I was the product of two hippie parents, I was raised to believe that I could do that.  Even as they grew nauseous of my talk of a life in Washington, they still supported it.   Of course, my parents were both hippies, so they would have also supported a life of tree pruning or coupon clipping.  I guess that’s what gave me the advantage.  My parents never discouraged my dreams, nor did they stifle my imagination. 

As a little girl, my imaginary friends were dead presidents, dead writers, and dead artists.  And also, to my parents dismay, Barbie.    But they accepted my relationships with dolls and my ponies and books.  Wait.  Books?  And Barbie? And dead people?  I’m pretty sure that’s therapy-worthy. 

My therapist would agree.  Also, she is grateful for the disparity. 

Reality

Well, this is the truth.  I wasn’t smart enough to go to college when I got out of high school.  I knew I wasn’t going to be.  Despite my best efforts, school was not for me.  Maybe I was young.  Maybe I was immature.  Maybe my hippie parents didn’t beat the value of an education into me.  I will always thank my parents for that, by the way.  But I just wasn’t college material at 18.  So I joined to Coast Guard.  Then that sucked.  So I got out.  And I decided it was time to go to college.  When I was 23.  And that was the perfect time for me to go to college.  I wasn’t any smarter than I was at 18, but I understood the value of an education by that point.  And I believed, again, that I could be all of those things I thought I could be when I was a little girl.  I soaked up education.  I remembered what was important.  I sat in classrooms and listened to the gospel of academia.  I WAS GOING TO BE A SCHOLAR. 

So, I studied for finals and the GRE, the LSAT and all the other standardized tests that were going to get me to the place where I could save the world.  Then I ran out of money.  By that time I was 26 and in desperate need of an income.  College couldn’t pay the bills anymore. So, I got a full time job to supplement my college education.  With a high-end homebuilder in the DC metropolitan area.  I was rubbing elbow with politicians and dignitaries.   That’s when my education went by the wayside.  Even though I do have a college degree, FROM an accredited institution, work became more important than my dreams.  And the things I imagined for myself as a little girl were lost to the façade of success. 

I no longer thought that the impact I would have as an environmental or social advocate was as important as dinners and drinks and parties after work.  I was going to be a star. But I was still in college.  I forgot about that. I guess that’s where I lost my perspective.  I guess that’s where the line between books and Barbie became blurred. 

Fantasy

In the mid-2000’s, the housing market hit the shitter.  I think we all know that, right?  Well, that’s when I lost my job.  As soon as I entered the industry, within months, it all went to hell.  And we all attribute our unrealistic expectations of economic success to our fiscal demise.  We aren’t stupid.  We may have been then, but we have knowledge and experience now.  We know what happened to the market 8 years ago.  And when I thought, 8 years ago, that I had lost everything, that’s when I began to dream again.  

When I lost the Marquis lifestyle, I realized that there might be something else out there.  Maybe it was my time.  My time to do something different.  So I looked at other opportunities.  I looked to re-evaluate my dreams.  I looked at where I could find purpose.  And I decided that living a life of simplicity on a south pacific isle was my destiny.  Apparently, it was not. 

Destiny

I like to talk about destiny.  A lot.  I like to say “everything happens for a reason.”  It makes me feel better about how I live my life.  I tell myself that the reason I don’t live in a bungalow on a South Pacific island is because the universe has other plans for me.  It’s easy and it helps me drive west, every morning, instead of to south to the airport.  It’s my destiny.  I guess.  But it also gives me the freedom to fantasize.  It gives me the opportunity to forget about what is real.  When I think about the bungalow on the North Shore, I don’t have to think about giving up on my ambitions or getting myself to work on time or brushing my kid’s hair in the morning.  I don’t have to think about the emotional price I have to pay for forfeiting my dreams or the lump in my breast or the $12 l have in the bank until Monday.  I only think about walking around barefoot in the yard and picking mangos and wading in the river with a child who deserves to be a child. 

But that wasn’t my destiny.  If it was, I would have made it so.  My destiny is uncut grass and late dinners and no health insurance and old cars.  It’s a destiny I chose for myself.  And even though it sounds like I am complaining, I wouldn’t change it for anything.  Because chaos and imperfection, are often, where I find my inner peas. 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment