Sunday, July 27, 2014

Love Story


About 216 miles into a 400.8 mile trip up the 101, from Ventura to Petaluma, I realized I was steeped in nostalgia.  I had just spent seven days with my personal history.  It seemed like every notable mention from my past made an appearance in the last week.  Once I cleared the Santa Barbara county traffic, and escaped the fierce winds and monotonous landscape of Steinbeck country, I released my death grip on the steering wheel.  I looked in the review and saw my exhausted little man dancing through dreamland.  Somewhere between Soledad and Salinas, I finally allowed myself a few minutes to absorb the overwhelming journey through a different part of my life that was the past week. 

I thought back and smiled on the recent memories we had made with people so precious there isn’t even a word in human language to describe their value.  Then I remembered that they were the same people I had made memories with before I even knew what a memory was.  It was about that time, we hit the San Jose city limit sign, that I heard a little voice, deep inside my hardened façade, scream at me about love stories.  I was thinking about friends and laughs and dolphins and wine.  But somehow, a voice I hadn’t heard in more years than are worth counting was poking at me.  With a sharpened stick.  And it was yelling at me about love stories.  More specifically, it was terrorizing me about my own love stories. 

My very first love affair came at a pretty young age.  I was 14.  I spent my summers on the water.  Not just any water, more specifically a body of water that connects mainland California to these remarkably obscure islands off the central coast.  For the sake of realism, we will call the water the Santa Barbara Channel and we will refer to the islands and the Channel Islands.  That was my first love.  The islands.  The water.  The sea creatures who allowed us to co-exist with them.  The cargo boats that frequent the channel.  Oil platforms Gina and Gail.  Everything about that place was magnificent.  It was magical.  Never before had my soul felt right with all of my surroundings.  NEVER.

It’s funny that my first love affair segued into my second.  Because of the channel and the islands, I met Jason.  He was everything I wasn’t.  He was born into a family with money. Not a lot of money.  But more money and opportunity than I had.  He was the product of a way of life that I could never understand.  He was the heir to a legacy I could never have understood at the time.  But there was something about that shy, school boy smile that melted me every time I saw him.  Behind that innocent smile, there was a lot of bad boy. 

The days that we worked the same boat, I made it my priority to avoid him.  I would watch him with conviction, though.  He operated with such experience; such expertise.  After all, he had been doing it his entire life.  The water wasn’t just his job.  It was his destiny.  For me, the water was a summer job that paid for gas and allowed me the time to get right with myself.  Whatever that means. 

But Jason was always there.  Always.  There was a long 14 hour day on the water.  We left Ventura harbor at 6:AM, en route to Santa Barbara Island.   It was a four hour transit.  Six hours on the island.  Then another four hour transit home.  We tied up the boat at a little after nine.  Much later than our usual 6 o’clock arrivals.  Those extra four hours gave us more uncomfortable silence than we had ever had before.  Even fishing and swimming and  diving couldn’t break the tension.  The four hours back from Santa Barbara Island put us both at ease.  There were passengers and chores to take care of.  But when we put the lines on the pier and watched everyone disembark, Jason and I were alone again. 

We had a beer with the captain and walked to our cars.  As we walked up the brow, the marine layer got thicker.  It was a cool night in the harbor.  The air was wet.  I was parked at the far end of the parking lot; he was parked closer to the boat.  I walked past him and, in a display of exhaustion and comradery, I touched his elbow.  As I walked away, he grabbed my hand.  It felt like an hour had passed as I tried to figure out what was happening.  Then, I walked back to him.  His hand was at my waist by then.  I leaned into him, head down and body shaking.  There were no words.  Only a kiss.  One.  Single. Kiss.  Then we got in our cars, and drove away. 

It doesn’t matter how hard we try to be realistic.  It doesn’t matter how many times we roll our eyes at sentimental nonsense.  We ALL need a love story.  We all need to LIVE a love story.  My first love story was Jason.  He was supposed to be gone.  He was supposed to have dissipated from my life. But the way my life works and the way my soul pulls me to the islands, I should have known he would never be gone. 

I watched him board the boat.  I watched him lite up the engines.  He was largely unrecognizable to me.  He had a shaggy beard and a bigger belly than I remembered.  But when I heard him talk about dolphins and the islands over the loud system, I knew it was him.  So, on the trip back I knocked on the door of the wheel house and asked if he had a minute for an old friend.  Jason looked at me, ambivalently, until I raised my sunglasses.  He looked into my eyes and said “NO.  FUCKING. WAY.” 

I sat on the bench behind the wheel.  I kicked my feet up on the back of the captain’s chair.  It was so familiar, yet so foreign.  We talked about where we have been and where we might be going.  I asked about his mom.  He asked about my dad.  He showed me a picture of his son.  We talked about our dreams of doing something different. At one point, I confided to him “If it would pay the bills, I’d come back to Island Packers tomorrow”  He said “You should do that.”  I hollered at him “It’s been 20 years, Jason.”  He looked at me like 20 years hadn’t passed. Then his phone rang…
I dismissed myself.  Then I went to the fantail and watched Channel Islands Harbor get closer.  I watched my kid run laps around the boat deck.  When we were finally tied up at the pier, I took Radley back to the wheel house.  I made him shake Jason’s hand and thank him for the safe trip.  Then I hugged Jason.  He hugged me back.

And that’s my love story. 

-Inner Peas




No comments:

Post a Comment