Saturday, August 2, 2014

The Breakup


Remember that movie The Breakup?  The very stock, very one dimensional, early 2000’s film about a couple who lost interest in their relationship because of personality differences?  Remember that movie?  It was marginal, at best.  But we still watched it anyway.  After all Jennifer Aniston is really likable and Vince Vaughn is hilarious.  Not particularly in this movie.  But overall, who didn’t want to see a movie with two of Hollywood’s most desirable darlings?  Anyway, the premise of the movie, obviously, was a breakup.  As you watched the story unfold, you couldn’t help but like each of the characters less and less.  They both acted like children.  They both acted like assholes.  There was no “side” to choose.  Both Gary and Brooke were jerks.  The movie was a bust.  They weren’t funny.  They had no chemistry.  They didn’t get back together, but the end, when they passed each other on the street, we had some hope that they would reconcile and live happily ever after…

There were so many flaws in the movie.  Just as there are in real life relationships.  They aren’t always funny.  They aren’t always romantic.  There isn’t always a definitive outcome.  Maybe that’s why we watched The Breakup.  Maybe we watched it because we all know how breakups shake up your world and shift your direction.   We probably watched it because we feel overwhelmingly connected to people and relationships that will never meet societal expectations.  We want our own fairy tales to validate our existence.  Unfortunately, fairy tales do not exist.  Neither do perfect relationships. 

After I started writing, I would sit at the wine table with my girlfriends and talk about our lives and our loves.  I always giggled and said “When I publish my memoir, it’s going to be titled WHAT HAPPENED TO MY PANTIES!?!?!?”  They would laugh and say:  “Oh Angela.  Whatever did happen to your panties?”  I would tell the stories about cute boys and late nights and really relatable moments that, for all intents and purposes, should have led to the most remarkable love stories in the history of humanity.  But instead of love stories, I only got breakups.  Not only could I not find my panties, expensive panties, but I couldn’t find a lover worth a damn, either. 


There were men.  Many men.  The bar guy.  The boat guy.  The emotionally damaged guy.  The borderline personality guy.  That one guy who was a marginal lover, but was psychologically unamendable.   The guy who wanted me to have all of his 19 unborn children.  I lost a lot of panties. Good panties.   I had a lot of breakups.  Weird and unexplainable breakups.  Each one sent me to a darker, more unmanageable place. 

Because of these breakups, I felt dismal and insignificant.  I felt lost and lonely.  I felt sad and empty and I knew it was all my fault.  I just knew that losing men (and panties) was going to be my lot in life.  And that’s how I’ve been feeling. That’s how I’ve been living.  Feeling less than adequate; living in mediocrity.  Until recently.  Recently, I experienced the most influential breakup of my entire life. 

I just broke up with myself.  I broke up with the girl who really like damaged men.  I broke up with the woman who never felt secure or empowered or worthy.  I am broke up with the idea that a man or a job or a house will define me.  Because I am smart and funny and pretty and I have really great shoes.  More than that I love more than I should.  I laugh at any expense, appropriate or not.  When it comes to the heart, BIGGER is always BETTER.  Always.  So, I will not regret the men I have loved who haven’t loved me back.  I won’t be shamed by remaining stagnant when I should be growing and moving.  I will no longer punish myself for laughing and smiling.  I have a life to raise and a child to enjoy. 

So, yeah.  I’m breaking up with myself. I’m letting go of bad sex and low self-worth.   Life is more than lost panties and hurt feelings. 


-Inner Peas

No comments:

Post a Comment