Sunday, December 1, 2013

Cosmic Connection


Everybody you meet has a purpose in your life.  I am a firm believer in that.  Some fill a void, some provide inspiration, and some just serve as a warning.  But every person you encounter contributes to your being, your outlook, your direction.  Now, don’t get me wrong, some are only a fleeting presence, others  are more permanent.  And by permanent, I don’t mean stationary.  I mean cosmically present.  And yes, I’m getting ready to make some haphazardly hippie statement about how we are all connected.    Also, I’m going to talk about the universe and magic and emotion.  This is your warning.  If you aren’t up for all that, beat it.  My feelings won’t be hurt. 

So, anyway, people.  They find a way into your life for a reason.  When we think about people serving a purpose in our lives, we tend to think about the people who have made the biggest positive impact.  I do, anyway.  We all have those people who have been such an influential force, that we can’t help for but remember them.  For me, there are many.  With those people, there is no amount of time, no distance, no time zone that can keep us apart.  These are the people, with whom I am so spiritually connected, that I would wake from a dead sleep if they got a paper cut.  We all have those people.  Those people who know when you are sad or forlorn or lonely.  They also know when your heart is happy and your soul is right.  For the most part, I call these people my soul sisters.  Not all of them are sisters, some are brothers.  But you get the point.  These bitches are everywhere.  Down the street.  Across the country.  On a different continent.  When I feel, they feel.  When they smile, I smile.  I’m pretty fucking lucky to have this invisible web that connects my soul to them, and theirs to me. 

And let’s be honest, we all feel that connection with some people.  That’s not a hippie thing.  That’s not a spiritual thing.  That’s a human thing.  We all find people who we connect with because they make us feel better.  We attach ourselves to others who understand our journey.  We acknowledge the connections that offer light and support.  Those are the relationships we consider sacred.  But I’m starting to think that cosmic connection isn’t always with those who understand and support you.  I’m starting to wonder if we have a psychic link with those who don’t understand everything we feel, but still know when we need them.  Or maybe they know when we don’t need them, and that’s when they make an appearance.  It’s a darker, more ambiguous connection, but a connection all the same.  I think a lot about a passage from Liz Gilbert’s memoir Eat.  Pray.  Love.  When she is talking to Richard, the addict turned spiritualist.  Richard tells Liz, “People think a soul mate is your perfect fit, and that’s what everyone wants.  But a true soul mate is a mirror, the person who shows you everything that is holding you back, the person who brings you to your own attention so you can change your life.  A true soul mate is probably the most important person you will ever meet, because they tear down your walls and smack you awake.  But to live with a soul mate forever?  Nah.  Too painful.  Soul mates come into your life just o reveal another layer of yourself to you.  Then they leave. “ 

So, I told you that story, to tell you this story.  The other day, I was getting ready to go out on a date.  Hold your applause; I’m still emotionally repressed.  It took a lot to commit to that date.  But I had to do it.  For a several reasons.  First, because I don’t want to get too used to curling up with my cat and Dexter on DVD every night.  There’re only eight seasons.  Eventually, I’m going to run out of entertainment.  Second, I made the mistake of telling my soul sisters, and they really weren’t onboard with my ideas of self sabotage.  I had no choice but to go out with a man who is entirely too good for me.  So, I had committed to it.  Then, the morning of this psychological double-dare, the phone rang.  Guess who.  I should have known.  This always happens.  Every time I need to go get ready for something else, the same call comes.  Every.  Single.  Time.  For the last three years.  Nothing particular to talk about.  Just to say “hello” and “how’s work?” and “the boy must be big now.”  My girlfriends always say “What the fuck?  Does he have you under surveillance?  How does he know???”  I know that he doesn’t.  They do, too.  As much as they hate him, they know that there is a reason that he’s always there.  They know that there is something in the universe that keeps us connected.  It’s the cosmic leash that one of us needs to chew through before either one of us can do anything else. 

Our soul sisters and brothers get us.  They are there to support and love us.  They can feel what we feel.  They know when we need them.  But a soul mate is different.  That’s the person who shows up when you don’t want them to be there.  They make an appearance for no other reason than to make you question your entire being.  They are the mirror, in the florescent lighting, that makes you examine all of your flaws, that makes you re-evaluate what your soul looks like.  As Richard from Texas told Liz in Eat.  Pray.  Love.   “A soul mates purpose is to shake you up, tear apart your ego a little bit, show you your obstacles and addictions, break your heart open so new light can get in, make you so desperate and out of control that you have to transform your life…”

Richard is right, living with a soul mate would not only be too painful, but it would be impossible.  I think it’s nice to know that you have them, though. 

-Inner Peas

No comments:

Post a Comment