Saturday, July 27, 2013

Nothing Ever Happens...

I read this book to Radley almost every night before bed.  His choice.  But I love it.  He may be a little young to understand the meaning, but with little people, it's all about repetition.  Let's be honest, it's all about repitition with big people as well.  Nothing Ever Happens at the South Pole is a great reminder to "pay attention to your surroudings", as my dad would say.  Also, this penguin very relatable.  I usually feel like that when I write, too. 


 
Nothing Ever Happens at the South Pole
By:  Stan & Jan Berenstain
 
Oh, boy!  The mail! 
The mail has come!
There is mail today,
and I got some!
 
It's a book! 
A book for me!
A book to write in-
now, that's for me!
 
I cannot wait t
to start my book.
Something might happen.
All I have to do is look. 
 
 
It does not matter which
way I go.
Something is sure to happen
in all of this snow.
 
Hey!  Something Happened!
I made a snowball!  Look!
I can write that down
in my new book!
 
 
No!  That is no good-
I made a snowball.  Look.
That is not good for my new book.
 
A giant snowball would be good.
That I could write about-
Yes, I could.
A snowball that wend round and round
and smashed some baddies
to the ground. 
 
But that snow back there
was much to thin
for anything good to happen in. 
 
This snow is thick
and full of lumps.
Lumps like these
would make good jumps!
 
One, two, three, four-
this is really great!
I'll keep jumping-
five, six,  seven, eight-
 
until I've jumped
a hundred jumps
from lump to lump
on all these humps. 
 
I'll write that down.
It will say-
I jumped a hundred
jumps today!
 
No.  I jumped a hundred
jumps today
is not a good enough thing to say. 
 
It might be good
if they were jumps
on some big monsters
with lumpy humps!
 
 
Some big monsters
got in a fight
and rolled around
from day to night.
 
That is something
I would like to write.
Something like that
would be great, all right!
 
But nothing will happen
back there today.
Too many lumps
are in the way. 
 
Now here is really
something to see-
stepping-stones made
of ice for me.
 
A little step here,
a giant step there-
it may be dangerous,
but I don't care!
 
I'll put that down!
I'll write and say-
I did a dangerous thing today. 
 
 
Not bad!  Not bad! 
It is the best yet!
How much more dangerous
can you get?
 
No.  That was not
dangerous enough.
There should be something
BIG and TOUGH!
 
Something big
and something tough
might do something
BIG and ROUGH!
 
Yes, that's it!
I'll look and see
where something really
BIG might be.
 
Say!
That's a pretty big eye
looking at me!
 
Something big
will happen now
when I punch that
big thing's eye--POW!!!
 
That was no eye for me to sock. 
It was just as snail, on a hunk of rock. 
 
This place is nothing
but rocks and snails
that look like
great big eyes of whales. 
 
If a whale that big
had an eye that high
he wouldn't ever
let me get by.
 
He would open his mouth
like a giant cave
and swallow me down
like a giant wave. 
 
A thing like that
would be great to read,
but a thing like that
I do not need!!!
 
I must write SOMETHING!
It's almost night.
There is just one thing
for me to write.
 
It is the only thing
I can say...
NOTHING HAPPENED HERE TODAY. 
 
Nothing ever happens at the
South Pole-
But I will look again tomorrow, anyway! 


No comments:

Post a Comment