Friday, August 8, 2014

Milestones and Mountains


This February past, I embarked on a pretty epic 89 mile journey up US 101.  I left my home on the outskirts of Petaluma, about 10:AM.  I got on the freeway heading north.  I drove through Cotati, Rohnert Park, and Santa Rosa.  All places I frequent regularly since my return to Northern California, more than four years ago.  The only difference is this time, I drove past the Guerneville exit.  I kept going.  Past Windsor.  Past Healdsburg.  It started raining as I drove through Hopland. I was convinced that it was a sign and I should probably turn around.  Something inside me forced me through it.   I finally stopped in Ukiah.  Because I had to pee.  Really bad.  In case you were wondering, gas stations in Ukiah don’t have public restrooms.  So, I found a Jack in the Box that had one.  Turned out they only had one if you bought food.  So, I bought a monster taco and a diet coke.  I peed, grabbed my food and got back on the 101.  For another six miles.  Then I finally exited the freeway at the “HWY 20/Upper Lake” off ramp. 

I drove past Lake Mendocino.  As the lake passed me on the right, I noticed that it was lower than I had ever remembered seeing it.   Then I drove the stretch of road I learned to drive on.  I passed the buffalo ranch. I drove past the Potter Valley turn off.  Passed Blue Lakes Lodge.  I thought of making the right on to Scotts Valley Road, just to see if it felt as liberating as it did when I was shifting gears in the Karmann Ghia at seventeen, with my girlfriends riding with me, singing along to Fleetwood Mac.  I didn’t do it.  I don’t know if it was because I didn’t want to be disappointed to realize that it isn’t as cool as it used to be or if it was because I needed to see the streets of Small Town America that I grew up on. 

Whatever it was, I didn’t make that sharp right off HWY 20.  I continued down the road.  As I approached Upper Lake, I saw that the miles of Walnut and Pear trees had been replaced with acres, upon acres, of wine grapes.  I was upset that the deep forests of antiquated nut farms were so quickly turned into “vineyards.”  The road looked the same, but the landscape told a different of my adolescence.  When I finally reached the junction of CA-20 and CA-29, that little crossroad right outside of Upper Lake, I saw something so foreign, so unimaginable that it literally made me panic.  Right there where 20 meets 29, was a Chevron/Carl’s Jr. franchise. 

I thought that I wanted to turn around back in Hopland when the rain started coming down.  When I saw that violation of my childhood by corporate America, I wanted to find my way back to 101 south even more. 

I didn’t go back, though.  I did decide against perusing the streets of Upper Lake and made a very deliberate right onto the road into Lakeport.  I got off at 11th street.  As I pulled into the Safeway parking lot, I realized it was like any other strip mall in the bay area.  I sat in the car for a few minutes, then decided to go to the local grocery store instead.  When I pulled up to Bruno’s, I had to take a minute to compose myself.  I felt like I was walking into a memory.  I was sitting in a Ford Focus with a purple CoExist sticker on the bumper.  The car wore Alaska plates and I was listening to Bruce Springsteen, crying like a baby.  The whole situation made the good people of Lakeport very uncomfortable.  I know because I got a lot of really hateful looks from drivers of mini vans and the moms who veered their children out of my path as I walked into the store, red faced and mascara running down my face. 

At that point, I had gone too far to leave.  But the hostile looks I received from the first few faced I had encountered in my hometown, made me want to take the quickest road out of there. Instead, I walked across the parking lot, grabbled a cart and headed to the produce section.  I bought avocados, tomatoes and onions.  I cruised down the wine aisle and picked up a couple of “good” bottles.  I went and got cheese and bread.  I checked out.  Still, with mascara running down my face, the lady at the checkout said “You aren’t from here, I guess?”  As she gave me the receipt, I said “No.  I’m not from here.  I only grew up here.” 

I left Bruno’s and drove to Deanna’s.  We had a lovely day together talking and drinking and cooking.  Later, Sara and Katie came over.  We drank and ate some more.  We all sat on the porch and listened to the rain fall down around us.  As the dark of night met the yellow glow of the front porch light, I forgot all of the anxiety that had kept me from visiting this place, those people, for more than ten years.  It finally occurred to me that the place I was so afraid of visiting, was closer and more accepting than I had realized.  Those women who came to sit and talk and visit over drinks and tacos and guacamole where the same people I didn’t want to face for fear of retribution. 

So, maybe you are wondering what milestones and mountains have to do with this story?  There is a very simple answer:  milestones are marked when you are learning who you are and where you are going.  Mountains are climbed when you go back to where you came from and who you will be be when you get there.  


-Inner Peas

No comments:

Post a Comment