Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Not as Bitchin' As You Think You Are (Part 1 of Many)


Walk a mile

My feet hurt.  Both of them.  Every day.  It’s because I wear heels 9 hours a day, five days a week.  Maybe more accurately, I choose to wear heels 9 hours a day, five days a week.  There’s nothing in my job description that says I MUST wear heels every day.  There’s nobody out there who will tell me my shoes aren’t within regulation.  There’s no rule that says I have to wear suntanned colored panty hose instead of nude or taupe or black with my heels.  My boss will never come to me and say, “Hey, I’m not sure those heels are 2 and ¼ inch high.  Can you change them?”  There is no policy dictating my choice in footwear.  I choose to wear them.  Professionalism.   Desire.  Image.  There’s a lot of reasons.  But all of those reasons are by choice. 

Judgment

I’m very aware of my shoes.  That’s why I insist that people compliment them at the beginning of every conversation.  Basically, it translates to “like my shoes, or you aren’t getting shit from me.” But let’s be honest, my shoes are marginal, at best.  But, in my twisted perspective, if you acknowledge my shoes, you acknowledge my journey.  People who know me the best, know that’s what I want.  That and really good shoes.  Since I can’t afford really good shoes, I’ll accept meaningless compliments about the one’s I can afford.  That’s also true for my life.  I can’t afford a really good one, so at least acknowledge the one I’ve made with what I’ve got.  It’s symbolic of the metaphor  “walk a mile in my shoes.” 

And if, in the off chance, you don’t feel obligated enough to compliment my shoes, judgment always slips in.  I really want people to admire my shoes.  I want others to walk down my path.  I want people to acknowledge my journey.  But when other people want to share their experiences with me, I get real ambivalent.  Oh, you’re trying to save money to ensure a better future for your family?  Take your six figure income and move on.  Or, maybe, you’re having a hard time with your child?  Try to do it by yourself.  And, my favorite, you hate a job you only have to put in a solid 10 hours in a week at?  Huh.  My deepest condolences.  I get real critical when people want to tell me about their struggles.  But for the love of God, those people better respect mine. 

Humility

Then, sometimes, shit gets real.  Sometimes, real people with real troubles cross my path.  When I meet those people, I am humbled immediately.  These are the people who make me eat every word I’ve ever uttered. These are the people who have been dealt a really ugly hand, and still, come up all aces.  Like my friend Albie who first walked into my life almost four years ago.  And the first day I met him, I hated him.  He said “I need to see a doctor.”  I looked at the fins in the wings he wore on his uniform, and I said “in two weeks.”  I don’t like rescue swimmers.  They are arrogant and entitled and real demanding.  I looked at the wings on his left chest and I got real indignant.  I actually said to Albie in one of our first encounters “You can’t walk because you spent 20 years jumping out of helicopters.”  As if, by choosing to be a hero, he deserved to sacrifice his body and his lifestyle.  Like the 20 years he spent jumping out of helicopters in to frigid and hostile waters, to save the lives of people he had never met before, or would never meet again, warranted the 20 surgeries that will guarantee lifelong disability. 

Shoes

There were many before Albie.  There have been many since Albie.  There are MANY people who remind me that the shoes we wear are not important, but the road we travel in those shoes is what’s important.  The six-year old girl, with the bald head and an elbow implant.  The family orphaned by a terminal father.  The young man who’s hand I held steady while he wrote his name on the top of a duty status chit.  The man who I had expected to be my boss one day, paralyzed in a random accident , who’s fate was conveyed to me in a late night text message from the hospital:  “you might want to start grooming a new boss.”  The kid with pilot’s wings, who didn’t even look old enough to drive a car, much less an aircraft, who walked through the door with a career ending injury and an honest laugh.  Those are the people who remind me about shoes.  Their shoes are the biggest shoes to fill. 

Anyway, back to Albie.  After I got over my stigma about swimmers.  After I stopped judging him because of the stereotype.  After I stopped expecting him to be a dick as a result of his trade, we became friends.  One day, at lunch, I asked him “How do you cope with all of this?“  He looked at me and confessed:  “My dad used to tell me when I was growing up ‘You aren’t as bitchin’ as you think you are.’  He was right.”  And my world stopped.  I thought to myself “Whaaaatttttt??????”  So let me get this straight.  Other people have walked in my shoes.  Other people have traveled my journey?  I’m not the ONLY person to ever feel pain or beat adversity or have fought the good fight?  (whatever the fuck that means.)  But most importantly, I thought “I’m not as bitchin as I think I am.”  And neither are my shoes. 


-Inner Peas

No comments:

Post a Comment