Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Navigate This


This afternoon, I was perusing around the interwebs on my wireless mobile device, as I do regularly when I need a mind-numbing escape from the real world.  While I thumbed through all of the same “breaking news,” I saw a headline I hadn’t seen before:  “NOAA Cost-Cutting Move, NOAA to Stop Printing Nautical Charts”  I was overcome with some sort of emotion.  I don’t know what it was because my phone didn’t tell me how to feel, but it was definitely something real emotional.  My first response was “Sure.  Let’s stop learning to read, too.  Everything we need already tells us what we need to know and what we need to do, anyway.”  So, I guess, maybe I was pissed?  Cynical?  Disenchanted?  I’m still not sure of the emotion.  But I do know what the story did for me.  It took me back.  WAY.  BACK. 

Immediately, I was 21 again.  Sitting on the bridge of a boat I had sworn vengeance with.  A boat, that, seemingly owned my life.  And at 21, NOBODY OWNS YOU!!!  But she did.  When she left, I left with her.  When she returned home, I returned as well. Every fourth day came around, I’d sleep there.  Most of the time, on those days, I’d stand in the cool, early air and watch the dark turn to dawn, and dawn turn to day.  Every time I crossed her brow in the morning, I saluted the flag and requested her permission to come aboard.  Every time I crossed her brow in the afternoon, despite a shower and clean clothes, I took the smell of diesel fuel and simple green home with me.    It’s not a unique place.  Many came before me, many came after me.  But that’s the place that story took me.  Back to Alameda.  Back to a simpler time.  More specifically, back to a place I didn’t even realize was simple. 

Mornings on that boat were what I thought of when NPR.com told me that Nautical Charts didn’t require printing anymore.  The mornings there, were always the busiest.  Also, mornings are the time cutter people work inport.   Regardless, the mornings there…That’s what I remember the most.   After I mustered with my crew, I’d take a cup of coffee, and make my way down two ladders, then up four to get to my office.  My “office” was a cramped corner of the bridge where I sat corrected charts.  All day.  Every day.  EVERY.  FUCKING. DAY.  And I’d sit on that stool, every morning.  A mountain of charts and a cup of coffee and KFOG on the radio. Not iTunes.  The radio.  With all their commercials and commentaries and traffic reports and unspecified playlists.  So, I’d sit there and listen to the radio, and drink my coffee and do chart corrections.  Occasionally  I’d look across the Oakland Estuary, across the San Francisco Bay, through the Bay Bridge.  I’d look past every navigational beacon, every hazard to mariners, towards the city.  I’d stare at the skyline and wonder what those people were doing over there. “What were they doing?”  Most likely, it was real important.   Can you believe I had the ability to make it through the day without iTunes or Pandora?  Me neither. 

After those days were done, and I suffered through them with a cup of coffee and FM radio, I would go home. At 1:00.  I’d take a nap.  Then, I’d go to that bar on Central for beer and wings.  I’d make a case for how hard my day was, and then I’d do it all over again.  Life was exhausting then. 

Then, here, today, I read that nautical charts are no longer important enough to print.  Once the bane of my entire existence, they are no longer worthwhile to mariners because technology has corrected them to perfection.  Better than I could ever do, that is certain.  But paper charts weren’t just a pain in the dick to correct on sunny mornings in the San Francisco Bay.  They were a reminder of something to look forward to.  Those early mornings on the bridge, they reminded us of the good times that would come after work.  On those frigid evenings  on the Bearing Sea, plotting fixes on the worn paper, we were  reminded that we were that much closer to home. 

Thanks to technology, we don’t need to fear getting lost.  We also don't need to feel the excitement of finding our way home.  


-Inner Peas

No comments:

Post a Comment