Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Answers


I realize this sounds very pretentious, but I have the answers.  All of them.  And if I don’t have the answers, I will find them, and get back to you and tell you how to apply those answers in order to make them benefit you.  When people are looking for answers, they call me.  It pisses a lot of people off.  But it’s legit.  Some days, I feel like a fucking oracle.  “Uh…Ms. Angela do you know the number to the hospital in Novato?”  Sure.  “Hey lady, who’s working in supply right now?”  Ashley.  “Do you know anyone at the Academy?”  Of course I do.  “Miss A.  Can you get me the link for the print shop?”  You know it.  “Hey.  When did my guy pass the color vision test?”  March 2012.  “You know that guy down at…?”  Yep.  Mark.  “Do you have a copy of my lab work?”  Duh.  Right here on my desk.  “Angela.  Who’s gonna inspect my EMT bags?”  Probably your EMT.  “Can you get me the number to those girls over in TRICARE?”  Real funny, asshole.  Ok.  That’s the one answer I don’t have.  But the rest of the answers, I have those.  All of them.  It’s not just work either

Sometimes, my girlfriends will say “why are people so lame?”  I’ll say “because they’re dicks.  Ignore them.  Other times, I will tell Radley “Stop jumping on the couch.”  He’ll look at me, real indignant and ask “Why mommy?”  Because I said so, little boy.   Occasionally, my friends will ask for advice about their relationships.  I’ll say things like “make sure you know what you are getting into.”  Or “chose your battles wisely.”  Those are always the right responses.  Never mind my failed marriage and all of my other unsuccessful relationships give me zero authority to weigh in on relational concerns.   But, I do have a degree in communication.  So, I must have all of the answers.  All of them.  People recognize it, too.  They know that they should heed my advice.  Even as recently as last week, one of my little brothers said to me “You were totally right about that!!!  I don’t know why I don’t listen to you more often.  You always see what’s really going on.”  Let this be a lesson to you, baby bro.  I have answers.  I’ve been around for a very LONG time.  I know things!

I’m not gonna lie.  I revel in it.  I LOVE it when people think they know more things than I actually do.  I love when they think they have the answers.  Even more, I love when those same people come back to me, and say “you were right.”  I love that shit.  Knowing stuff validates my entire existence.  Futher, it makes me an asset.  Anyway, point being, I’m pretty good at answers.  And stuff.  Unless….It’s answers to my own questions and solutions to my own conundrums.  Then, I’ve got nothing.  Hell, most days I don’t even eat breakfast because I don’t have the foresight to make time in the morning to grab a fucking banana.  The bananas are in the fruit basket next to the coffee pot.  Where I pour my coffee.  Every morning.  But still no breakfast.  I always think “eh.  I’ll just get some wine after work.”  That’s kind of like a banana, right? 
A lot of days, I get frustrated with myself; with my life.  It all seems so simple.  Get up.  Go to work.  Pay the bills.  Raise a little boy.  It seems like those are things that should all come so naturally.  There shouldn’t be any thought, and certainly, those things shouldn’t require answers.  The answers should all be there.  You get up to go to work.  You go to work to pay the bills.  You pay the bills so that you can raise a little boy.  Comfortably.  It all makes sense, until people start asking me questions about me. 

A few weeks ago, at the smoke pit, I sat crying.  One of my nearest and dearest was walking her pooch and saw me sitting, with my head in my hands.  After  a short interaction, she said “this job brings you so much turmoil.  Why are you still here?”  Uh…..Nothing.  A few months ago when my soul was devastated with the prospect of orphaning my child as a result of breast cancer, my mom called me and lit me up.  My own mother, after a very heated interaction about responsibility, screamed into the phone at me “ANGELA!!!!  Why can’t you accept help from anyone? What’s wrong with you????”  Eh.  I don’t really need any help.  Then, recently, my sweet Charity felt my heart hurting from three thousand miles away.  She texted me and asked “why do you love so deeply and unconditionally?”  All I could say was “why doesn’t everyone else?”  To myself, however, I thought “I DON’T FUCKING KNOW!”  Because I don’t have those answers. 

If you need directory assistance, call me.  If you need turn-by-turn directions to the nearest grocery store, I’m your girl.  If you need to know the name of your neighborhood pharmacist, I’ve got him in my contacts.  If you need to know why you shouldn’t jump on the couch, I’ll tell you.  If you have a question that I don't immediately have a response to, I have wine.  For both of us.  We'll figure it out.  But if you want know what’s going to save my soul.  Don’t ask me.  I don’t know. 


-Inner Peas

No comments:

Post a Comment