Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Care More


When I was a little girl, I believed in Prince Charming.  Or maybe I really wanted to believe in Prince Charming.  A lot.  I did all those things that little girls who believe in fairytales do.  I looked at pictures of women in beautiful white dresses with long, wispy vales.  I envisioned a handsome man holding my hand while we walked, with bare, sandy feet, chasing a brilliant sunset down an exotic beach.  I chose the names of my four future children.  There was a time when I wanted a fairytale.  At least I thought I wanted a one.  But looking back on those adolescent fantasies, I don’t know if I was ever really committed to them.  Not to the dress or the beach or the children or even the prince.  I remember wanting it all really badly, but I also wanted to be a lawyer.  Or a cruise ship captain.  Or a peacock rancher. 

Obviously, I have traveled a very long and treacherous road since those innocent, childhood day dreams.  I’ve given up on most of that stuff.  Except becoming a peacock rancher.  I kinda still want that.  But I hear they are really mean birds and my feelings get hurt really easily.  So, maybe that’s out, too.  Anyway, as I grew older, I also grew more cynical.  I don’t think it was intentional.  I just thinks that’s what too much reality does to unsubstantiated idealism.  And that brings us to now, or at least the last several years. 

I advertise myself pretty freely as a bitter and apathetic spinster.  I have no qualms with the cats and the kids and the wayward sisters who roam my house and my yard at their leisure.  I have no secrets about the men who periodically make appearances in my life.  I admit, without prompting, that sex has largely been a disappointment.  That’s probably a huge part of the reason I hold so many former lovers in contempt.  Not only did they prove to be emotional degenerates, they couldn’t make an orgasm happen with a magical sex wand.  (Which, by the by, I have several of.  And they work just fine.)

For years, I was forced to suffer the anguish that accompanied well-meaning encouragement from people who love me.  I was forced to listen to cliché reassurance from people who wanted me to be happy.  My friends would say things like “Oh Angela.  Just wait.  Happiness awaits you!”  Or “I didn’t meet my Prince until I was much older than you.  Hang in there!”  Or, one of my personal favorites “One day someone is going to treat you the way you deserve to be treated!”  Encouragement is excruciating when all you want is to be haggard and scorned.  And God fucking forbid, that in a jaded moment of forced hopefulness, you actually believe them.  Because the only thing that gets you is a ticket to the Mediterranean to see a man who should have told you not to buy the ticket in the first place.  That’s even more excruciating. 

While I eventually learned to appreciate what the lovely people around me were trying to say, I got tired of it.  I would never have told them that.  Because you can’t tell people who love you to go sell Cinderella to someone else.  It makes you seem hostile and unappreciative.  But, secretly, I was hostile and unappreciative.   I began to form an alliance of women who shared my disdain for the false representation of romance and the bullshit that people in committed relationships try to sell to those who are not. 

It was in that alliance, that I found one of my most sacred resources; one of the most powerful voices.  A young woman who I shared all of my secrets with.  A young woman who shared all of her secrets with me.  We didn’t necessarily approach the life and love the same way, but that never deterred us from sharing with each other.  For years she would tell me “If you wanna win with men, you have to play the game.”  I would always respond with “If a man want’s to play a game, he can get an Xbox.”  Even though we didn’t share all of the same ideals, we had no problem sharing all of our souls with each other. 

Then today happened.  As I talked to my little soul sister for a while, I listened as she told me that she had finally resigned to the fact that she was in love.  She said “I know we are in love because neither one of us needs to prove who cares less.  We both want to care more.” 

There was that minute in my head that everything shook and nothing seemed clear.  There was no way that my little sister just told me that she wasn’t going to play games anymore.  There was no way that she had found a man who didn’t want to play games with her.  I could have sworn that if love was a game, Rach would have been playing it forever.  Or at least until she won.  So, basically forever.  But instead, she proved to me that the only way to win at life and love is to care more. 


-Inner Peas

No comments:

Post a Comment