Thursday, October 9, 2014

Easy


A couple of weeks ago I started this 3-part series about easy and hard places after a midnight conversation with a friend half a world away.  Of course, for me it was midnight, for him it was midday.  It started after he made a comment about how living in a different part of the planet isn’t as easy now as it was when he was younger.  I told him if it was easy, he wouldn’t be doing it.  It just wouldn’t be worth it.  That was less than three weeks ago when he suggested that maybe I write about easy vs. hard. 

When I started writing the next day, I knew it was going to be a three part blog.  Which, objectively, seems a little illogical.  Why write THREE parts for TWO topics?  Somehow, I just knew that I was going to need more than two.  Probably because there are more hard places than easy places.  And finding a way to write about “easy” places would be harder than writing about “hard” places.  See?  The whole thing got far more complicated that I even realized it would.  Because when your drinking wine at midnight, talking to someone who has already been up for five hours, things seem easy, but are actually much more difficult than you imagine in those late night hours. 

“Hard” was easy, because it’s common.  Easy was much tougher.  I had to start thinking about the easiest times of my life.  Being 6 and climbing hills with my friends and going to the beach with my family.  Being 18 and scrubbing bilges in 41’ utility boats.  Being 24 and in college on the GI Bill’s dime and taking out student loans to pay for books and rent.  It was the old Montgomery GI Bill; not the new, good one.  Those were the easiest times I can remember in my whole life.  At this point, I thought I would give anything to go back to those places.  They were carefree and restless.  They were places without responsibility or retribution.  They were the easy places.  Or so I thought.

Now, I sit watching my own 6-year old grow up.  I am reminded of how hard it is it find your direction at that age.  How difficult it is to understand your own emotions without even factoring in other the actions of others.  How hard it is to learn to be responsible for yourself and your stuff.  Growing up is really hard.  Climbing hills and beach trips may be easy when you are six.  But that’s not all that being six is about; maybe we forget that after we are too far removed from 6. 

I am now trying to remember those days I sat scrubbing bilges with a wire brush, season after season, in the engine room of that 41’.  41381 likely had the shiniest bilges in the entire Coast Guard.  It’s where I went when I needed to appear productive and out of sight.  It was a time when I spent half of my month with 14 men and the other half completely alone.  It was a time when I longed for liberty after 48 hours of duty, but felt alone after a few hours away.  It was 3:AM for me.  You know that Matchbox 20 song?  The one with the girl who said “It’s 3:AM, I must be lonely.”  And that she “can’t help but be scared a little sometimes.”  And in the end, it turned out that “the clock on the wall had been stuck on three for days…and happiness is a mat that sits on her doorway”  She was lonely all the time, and didn’t have the sense, or the will, to check the goddamned batteries in the clock?  Remember that song?  That’s what scrubbing bilges was to me. 

I don’t even know if I can go back to 24, with all the emotion I had in college.  All of my fire and sass.  The desire to make the world a better place, the need to have my voice heard.  I had the answers.  I had the solutions.  I had the words.  That was in college, though.  Somebody is always listening in college.  You always have the possibility of changing the world in college.  You also always have the possibility of getting drunk and breaking into a public swimming pool and getting arrested for DUI on the way home from such an expedition.  Then after that, you have to deal with your student loans and arrest record and wasting that idealism and expensive education on a job that barely pays the bills.  But the memories of jumping off the cabana into the deep-end at 2:AM remain.  That was easy. 

When you are having a hard time, people always say “It’ll get better.”  Or “It won’t be like this forever.”  And they are right.  It won’t be like that forever, but I’m not convinced that it will ever get easier.  I think we might just get more accustomed too and more acclimated to dealing with the hard places.  The fact remains, if it’s easy, it’s probably not worth it. 

Sometimes, I look over the fence at those million dollar homes and think “it’s probably a lot easier over there.”  Then I remember, everyone is fighting a battle I know nothing about.  It might be 3:AM over there, too. 


-Inner Peas

No comments:

Post a Comment