Sunday, October 5, 2014

A Hard Place: Part Deux


I talk a lot about why I started this blog.  I talk a lot about my journey with my mental illness.  I talk a lot about my spiritual journey.  I do that in writing not to share all of my business with the entire internet, but because expressing my thoughts and feelings through my written words gives me clarity and closure.  I need that.  For years, when the demons in my mind got too loud, I would just yell back at them.  In case you don’t know, that’s how people get institutionalized.  And since I have a child to raise, I didn’t see a permanent residence in a mental hospital as a viable option.  So, when I was on the verge of that becoming a reality, I started writing this blog.  Inner Peas. 

As the name suggests, I needed to find some solace.  And for the first year, sharing my thoughts here kept me employed and out of a state hospital.  As time passed, I realized that it was becoming more and more difficult to share my thoughts.  Even more, it was getting difficult to organize my thoughts.  It got to the point that I could no longer express myself.   I felt stifled, suffocated.  I was embarrassed of my writing.  My self-worth took a beating.  And trust me when I tell you that it was not any condition to take another hit. 

I have been plagued by low self-esteem my entire life.  But over the last few years, I have convinced myself that I don’t deserve.  Anything.  I wasn’t worthy.  Of Anything.  Most notably, I didn’t deserve to be happy.  I made myself guilty for enjoying myself.  It didn’t matter if it was an afternoon with my girlfriends or a weekend away.  Vacations were completely out.  I always had an excuse.  “I can’t take the time off.”  “I don’t have the money.”  Mostly I was scared that if I had a good time, I have to pay some monumental emotional price just for being content for doing something for myself. 

Those same self-deprecating behaviors crept into my relationships.  I’m not even sure that deprecating is the appropriate term.  That would indicate that I was exhibiting some semblance of humility.  A better term would probably be self-destructive.   As noted here on multiple occasions, the men I have allowed to be a part of my life were emotional fucking degenerates.  Narcissists, troubled loners, emotionally retarded sociopaths.  Those were the men I would let in.  And every time, I would be devastated when they didn’t stick around.  I convinced myself that if I wasn’t good enough for them, I wasn’t good enough for any man. 

About a year ago, I gave up completely on even allowing men to be a thing.  I didn’t need it, and more importantly, I didn’t deserve it.  Since then, it’s just been me and BOB, my battery operated boyfriend.  And I was cool with that.  No drama, no hard feelings, no bad sex.  I had convinced myself that I was OK with that.  I did a really good job at making myself a believer, too.  It was just easier.  It was during that year, however, that there was one man who became the closest thing to a constant I had had in a very long time. 

Of course, there was a problem with that man.  What man doesn’t have a problem, right?  But this guy’s problem was much different than most other men.  He was smart, funny, sexy as hell, and he really wanted me.  I just couldn’t believe that a man with an education and a career and like-minded social and spiritual values could really care about me.  We went out a few times over the last year and a half.  Every time we had a wonderful time.  Without fail, though, every time the night drew to a close, I would get scared.  Really scared.  I was paralyzed with fear because he was just so fucking wonderful.  I would be devastated when the inevitable rejection came.  One night, I became so afraid, that I had a panic attack in the middle of dinner in the city.  As we walked to the car, the city fog made its appearance.  The night was damp and cool.  I sobbed, convinced that this would be the last time I would ever see him.  Nobody wants a crazy girlfriend.  And I had pretty much trademarked crazy that night. 

As we drove the fifty miles over the bridge to my home in Sonoma county, he handled the situation with so much compassion.  It was almost like he knew exactly how to defuse the anxiety.  He let me be quiet and breath.  But he would also periodically remind me that he was there.  He asked me questions.  He didn’t try to make me laugh or patronize me.  He just tried to ground me.  He did everything they teach health care professionals about dealing with anxiety-plagued patients.  It was amazing.  Of course, I was still convinced that was the last time I would ever see him. 

I got home and finally looked at my phone.  A text from my little brother read “how’d it go.  Best night ever?”  I just replied “not so much.”  Immediately, my phone was buzzing.  I picked it up and took a verbal beating that lasted about 20 minutes from a kid so irate with my self-disparaging behavior that he lit me up with every profanity he could find in English, along with three other languages, and a few he made up, I’m pretty sure.  When he finally said “What the fuck is wrong with you Angela?”  All I had was “I don’t deserve him.” 

Conrad wasn’t the only person concerned with my behavior.  My girlfriends threatened to disown me if I didn’t find some belief in myself, in the fact that I could be happy.  One guy at work walked in my office not too long ago, he said “I was thinking about you last night.  I was going to ask if you ever talked to that guy anymore.  Then I remembered you fucked it up.  I just wanted to remind you that you fucked it up.”  Thanks, Pedro.  That was a huge help.  But he was right.  Because that’s usually what I do.  Nobody can turn pixie dust into a giant, steaming turd like I do.  Because I DON’T DESERVE ANY BETTER.  Period.  Done.  End of conversation. 

Now, back to all that talk at the beginning about why I write.  I write to find a way to get right with myself.  I talk about the fear and anxiety because it helps me control it.  But until now, it has never made me feel any more worthy.  The other day, one of the most magnificent women in my life, a friend for more than a decade texted me and said “Everyone wants to be happy, Ang.  Everyone except you.”  Again, I repeated my mantra to her:  “It’s not that I don’t want to be happy, D.  It’s just that I don’t think I deserve it.”  To which she responded: GET.  THE. FUCK. OVER.  YOURSELF.  So, I did.  I called that man.  I told him everything.  I told him why I could never let myself get too close to him.  I told him that he deserved better.  I told him that it’s much easier for everyone if he found someone worthy of him.  Through more time zones than I can count, he told me that he’s perfectly capable of deciding what he wants and what is good for him.  So, I believed him.  Even though it was hard.  So, fucking hard.  I’ve lived my life believing that happiness is a frivolous luxury that will end up punishing those who are not deserving of it.  But I’m going to take the gamble.  I’m going to believe that happiness is a real thing.  That love can also be a thing.  Maybe I’ll find out in Greece in January. 


-Inner Peas

No comments:

Post a Comment