Sunday, March 9, 2014

Get Mad Now


My background has been pretty well documented here.  I was born, the illegitimate child of two hippie parents.  My dad, a haunted Vietnam veteran, the youngest son of a Methodist minister.  My mom, the “privileged” child of a wealthy diplomatic and wildly abusive home.  They were both looking for something different than the atrocities they had experienced in war and privilege.  And, in their search, they both associated themselves with a movement that, for all intents and purposes, was fighting the good fight against government control and manipulation.  My parents’ politics, clearly, shaped my social outlook.  I realize that as soon as I identify myself as a hippie, most people conjure images of me sitting in the forest, sucking on acid tabs, formulating drug induced plots to discredit the United States government, without running water or deodorant.  But, you all know better.  You know that I live on the outside of a small ag town in Northern California.  You know that I drive, every morning, to a job where I get paid, albeit indirectly, by the federal government.  AND, this part you may not know, but I shaved my legs, this very morning, while in the shower.  When I talk about being a hippie, I’m not talking about the stereotype that politicians attached to a generation of people who chose to live a counterculture existence in the hopes of creating a social utopia.  I’m not talking about the lunatic conspiracy theorists you think of, with long hair and glazed eyes.  I’m not talking about ungroomed tree huggers, living in communes.  Although, in all honestly, hugging trees and living in a commune are pretty fucking awesome.  I know we aren’t all in agreement on that. 

So, with all of this hippie upbringing I had, it seemed natural that I relate myself with the liberal ideology.  So, I did that.  I have voted for Democrats and/or Green party candidates in every election I have voted in since I was 18.  The first time I voted, it was in a California primary, one week after I turned 18.  I voted for Gray Davis.  He later became governor of California.  Later than that, even, he was recalled from office.  He was replaced by Arnold Schwarzenegger.  I clearly did NOT cast my ballot for that guy.  AND, for what it’s worth, to this day, I will stand by my position that that was the MOST embarrassing demonstration of electoral decision making in this country’s history.   And then it happened again.  Even more embarrassing.  Actually, in that election, I voted for Arianna Huffington.  That’s neither here nor there, but if you do a little research, she may have been the best candidate out of the 135 names on the special election ballot.  Obviously, she did not win, nor did she capture enough votes to even be a notable mention in that election.  So, after that, I aligned myself even further with the perceived left. 

A few months before I left California to study Government at George Mason University, a large state school just outside the beltway I sat in my living room on a really hot summer night.  I had basic cable.  When basic cable still meant you got C-SPAN.  During the coverage of the 2004 Democratic National Convention, the convention that would nominate John Kerry as the party’s Presidential candidate, I listened to a young lawyer from the State of Illinois speak.  He was the keynote speaker at the convention.  A man nobody had heard of until he threw his hat in the ring as a candidate for a senator’s seat in Illinois.  That’s what I thought at the time, anyway.  As he spoke, as he delivered a speech so inspirational and unprecedented, I began to cry.  I sobbed, uncontrollably, while I listened to him speak of the “Audacity of Hope.”  I watched how he commanded his audience, I listened to all of the talk about unity and equality.  I hung on every word as he explained “…There is no liberal America and no conservative America—there is the United States of America.  There is not a black America and a White America and a Latino America and and Asian America---there’s the United States of America.”  And I believed it all.  I KNEW that one day, he would be President of the United States.  The president who was going to save us. 

I was so convinced that he was going to be President of the United States, that I pretty much became a subject matter expert on the man who because the junior senator from the State of Illinois.  When I got to George Mason, I changed my major from Government to Political Communication.  Yes.  That’s a real major.  (By the bye, it’s not as glamorous as it sounds.  It gets you a job as a medical records clerk, so I don’t recommend it, kids.)  But, when I started studying communication, I had to take a lot of classes about politics and rhetoric.  Classes called Rhetorical Communication and The Rhetoric of Social Movements. You know, stuff like that.  So, as a result, I had to write papers about rhetoric.  I wrote a lot about Barack Obama.  That Audacity of Hope thing really stuck with me.  I wrote papers.  Lots of them.  Good papers.  One , even, won an award and got me nominated for a national something-or-other.  That was all in the 2005-06ish time frame.  I believed then.

Needless to say, I voted for Barack Obama in 2008, and then again in 2012.  And I cried as I held my 11-month old that November evening in 2008.  I looked at him and I said “I have hope for your future now.  I have hope that you will grow up in a society that sees all people as equals.  I have FAITH that that hate and inequality won’t even be a part of your vocabulary.”  Of course, all mothers say that when they look in the innocent and hopeful faces of their children.  But in that moment, I believed with every fiber of my being that it was true.  Believe me, it wasn’t just me.  A lot of other people felt like that, too.  I knew people who had never, ever, EVER voted to the left of center, who voted for President Obama.  They felt the same way.  They felt the same hope and believed in humanity as much as I did in that very moment.  Election years do that to us.  Well, they don’t do it to me, anymore.  But they used to. 

I’m going to stop here with my discussion about the President.  While I do not agree with his policies, I do not agree with his ethics, I do know that he is as much a talking head as the guy before him, and they guy before that.  And the other five guys that came before.  It’s not our money that is paying their salaries.  We DO NOT have enough money as a WHOLE to pay politicians what they are being paid by individual interest groups.  Barack Obama is NOT the problem.  George W. Bush was NOT the problem.  All those guys since 1968, were NOT the problem.  The problem is greed.  The problem is the inequality that greed perpetuates.  The problem is the disinformation that greed propagandizes.  While I still believe in the Audacity of Hope, I’m having a hard time believing that there aren’t two different Americas.  In fact, there are more than that.  We are more ethnically divided than we should be.  We are more religiously divided than we should be.  We are more politically divided than we should be.  But why?  Why are we divided? 

We are divided because we are being fed social positions that are politically divisive about shit that DOES. NOT. HAVE.  MERIT.  No value.  No worth.  NOTHING.  For example.  God.  Why is this a political issue?  We all have the right to worship.  It’s a very private matter.  How you worship is your own.  You don’t’ like abortion or gays or stem cell research?  So be it.  Don’t participate.  But those are religious issues, not political issues.  Those are issues big money and big politics use to divide us.  And guess what?  People on both side of the aisle have faith.  Spirituality isn’t a party value.  It’s a human value.  You want to fight about guns?  Well, I kind of think that defeats the purpose, but here’s an anecdote about gun control.  It’s rights control.  And it’s not a conservative value, it’s a constitutional right.  Yes, we can talk all day about the context of the constitution.  But my own hippie mother pays dues to the NRA.   Yeah.  The self-identified pacifist.  The same woman who looked at me when I was born and said “No more wars.  That’s all done now.”  Do you know why she is a member of the NRA when she doesn’t own a gun?  I didn’t at first either.  But this is why.  It’s not about gun rights.  It’s about all the rights.  It’s about the Bill of Rights.  She couldn't fire a gun if she wanted to.  But she believes in the freedom to do so. 

How about that guy, Edward Snowden.  Do you know that name?  The NSA’s whistle blower who told the American people that their tax dollars were being spent to pay some pervert to read their emails and text messages?  The one, currently exiled to Russia, because Russia is a safer place for him than the United States?  I first learned about it on Democracy NOW!  But as I look around, it’s not just leftist hippies that are mad about it.  In fact, conservatives are more upset about it than anyone.  When I first heard the story, I thought “who cares?  I’ve got nothing to hide.”  But it’s not about that.  At all.  It’s about having your privacy infringed on without warrant.  That is also a constitutional right.  To have a conversation in your own home without the government coming to take you away and lock you up because they don’t like what you say, under the guise of national security. 

Back to my mom and this pink NRA shirt with a picture of an automatic rifle on it.  I think it goes without saying that I was astonished when she told me about this NRA thing.  But as she started talking about her reasoning, about how infringing on one right only leads to more violations.  Of course, she grew up fighting for her first amendment right to speak out against her government and to peacefully assemble.  As she has watched, through her 60 years of life, the foundation of our democracy crumble, she made a decision to affiliate herself with the only rights-based organization that has a voice on the Hill.  Say what you want about her decision, but it makes sense. She tells me all the time, what is it going to take to get people so mad, they find a voice again?  I always respond “I don’t know, mommy.  I really don’t know.” 

But I do now!  Californians are fixing to hand Sea World their ass over this Blackfish thing.  Most people have know how heinous it is to put an Orca in a tank and train it to do tricks.  But somebody made this movie about the disgusting truth about marine mammals in captivity.  And guess what.  No more Shamu show.  It was a documentary that some guy made when he wondered why people weren’t paying attention.  Then, they started paying attention. 

Time to get pissed, people.  Pay attention.  Get pissed.  It’s not a party problem.  It’s a greed problem.  We all want the same thing.  We all want to feel safe.  We all want to take care of our families.  We all want to live in a community that takes care of each other.  We’re not sheep.  We are smarter than what they are giving us credit for.  It’s not about God.  Or guns.  Or gays.  It’s about standing up for ourselves.  It’s about standing up for those around us.  It’s about standing up for our rights.  We still have rights.  Read the constitution.  And I’m not talking about the constitution the media tells you about.  The actual constitution. 

-Inner Peas


No comments:

Post a Comment