Sunday, January 26, 2014

Naked


Three years ago, I lost 40 pounds.  Two years before that I lost 30 pounds.  So that means, that five years ago, I was 70 pounds heavier than I am right now.  Sometimes, I encounter people I haven’t seen in years and they will look at me twice, just to make sure it’s really me.  Or they’ll say things like  “you look AMAMZING!!  How much weight have you lost?”  While those interactions give me some satisfaction, I’m always a little self conscious after.  Because I am not at my ideal weight.  And I am not satisfied with my body.  Then, I feel guilty for giving up on my goal weight before I achieved it.  Naturally, I think “I’ve gotta get back in it.  I can do the last twenty pounds by summer.”  I don’t do it though.  If I were going to do it, I would have done it three years ago, with the other 40 pounds. 

Of course, I told you that story to tell you this story.  This morning I was in the shower and I looked down and I was surrounded by this feeling of same.  It seems ridiculous, but I was embarrassed to be with myself in the shower.  Vulnerable.  Flawed.  Naked.  So I rinsed out my hair and got out of there in quick, fast and in a fucking hurry.  I don’t need to spend too much time with that reality.  So got dressed and put some stuff on my face and stopped looking in the mirror.  Because that wasn’t helping anything.  I was getting really anxious about seeing myself naked.  And, yes.  I realize how shallow that sounds.  With all of the legitimate things I could worry about, I was most concerned with my body.  I think they call that vanity.  That’s when the epiphany hit me like a baseball bat to the ribs:  “we are doing this to ourselves.  And we’re fucked if we care too much and we’re fucked if we don’t care enough.” 

What does that all that mean, you ask?  Well, it’s all first-semester, community college psychology.  It’s about how the influence of our environment dictates how we see ourselves.  It’s nature vs. nurture.  In this case, the way we are nurtured overrules how we are natured.  It’s a social reflection of perfection that is nearly impossible to achieve.  We have invested so deeply into the power media has assigned beauty and perfection that it’s what we value the most.  And when we don’t live up to societal expectations of perfection and beauty, we just assume we can’t be loved or accepted. 

Ok.  So saying that we are captives to the corporate dollar and the media’s profiling of perfection is a little extreme.  And it’s also not a new idea.  It’s been stated repeatedly in scholarly journals and in journalistic exposés and, even, advertisers have tried to buck the establishment (please see Dove’s marketing campaign, from the mid-2000’s, geared toward “real” women.)  We know that it’s not a new idea.  We know that stereotyping ourselves, based on what Hollywood, or Vogue or L’Oreal sells to us is total bullshit.  But they don’t’ stop.  So neither do we.  So, we have done this to ourselves. 

Now listen.  I’m not pointing fingers.  Nobody pays more for a beauty regimen than I do.  Nobody in the real world, anyway.  I have a girl who does my hair.  I have a girl who waxes my eyebrows and my bikini line.  There’s a girl who paints my toes.  I buy designer makeup to cover up the blemishes and lines on my face.  The pantyhose I wear tuck and cover everything.  You can’t see the scar on my knee from where I fell in the orchard behind our house when I was 12.  You can’t see the imperfections in my thighs (and by imperfections, I mean lumps. GIANT.  CELLULITE.  LUMPS.)  AND!!  They make my waist look about two inches smaller than it actually is.  I pay for all of that.  I pay to look better than I actually do.  There’s a market for it, and since the market told me that I should look better than I actually do, I pay for it.  All of it. 

If you were born into and/or raised in this culture of beauty, you are fucked.  If you care too much about how you look, you are a narcissist.  If you don’t care enough, you’re a slob.  If you find yourself living a very average life, then all you have to do is head to your local beauty supply store, pay close to a thousand dollars, and walk away with all the tools to make you “appear” standard.  This is the thing though.  If you are average, and you can pay to look better, AND you  really want to conform, you will do it.  But the other thing is, if you do all of those things, you still have to look at yourself naked.  You still see what is underneath.  You still know that no amount of hair color or makeup or skinny skirts is going to change what you are.  So, what are you?

This morning in the shower, I looked down at my body and thought “For fuck sake.  Haven’t I paid enough to get rid of this by now?”  The stretch marks and the belly fat and the cellulite and the small boobs.  Haven’t I paid enough to be better than this?  Not even in a dollar amount.  Haven’t I paid enough in emotional currency to be better than this?  “What are you?” I asked myself.  And this is what it comes down to:  I am still a lonely, aging spinster.  I’m still afraid of having a meaningful relationship.  I’m still driving that Focus I bought in college.  The effects self esteem have on your psyche, on yourself image, only hinder you.  It doesn’t matter how much makeup I apply or how many shoes I buy or how often I get my hair done.  I’m still an aging spinster.  With a child and failed marriage and a car that is going to die any day now.  I’m still the girl in an empty bed every morning.  And when I look at my body in the shower, I assume I know why:  I’m not pretty enough.  Or smart enough.  Or wealthy enough.  And I’m old enough, now, to know that I will never look good naked.  Maybe it’s time to find a backup plan. 

Self esteem is a bitch.  Especially when you are naked. 


-Inner Peas

No comments:

Post a Comment