Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Start Living


While I was suffering the emotional tsunami that was the month of December, and for that matter, the second half of 2014, I started fantasizing about what 2015 might be.  Not big dreams or anything.  More like just being able to let go of the shit storm that the past year had been.  But they were dreams all the same.

I basically shut down sometime around the beginning of fall.  I started counting down the days to January 1 back in October.  I refused to cook a turkey at either holiday.  Because turkeys are a lot of work and fuck you anxiety.  I muddled my way from the beginning of December until the 14th when Radley’s birthday party was only a memory.  I held my breath until December 25th.  When I finally took the trash out on Christmas day, I exhaled slowly.  I felt a relief that I don’t remember feeling in what seemed like several lifetimes.  Then, as quickly as it came, it was gone.   I was suddenly horrified when I realized that I only had eleven months to recover until the next holiday season. 

Somehow though, I managed to get out of bed on Monday morning and go to work.  I only had to suffer through three more days of the mental punishment and emotional disaster that was 2014.  I went to work on Monday.  Made it.  It even proved functional and productive.  I woke up again the next day did the same thing.  Fucking kudos to me.  But something was different about that day.  As I sat doing what I do, I had a feeling of ambivalence rush over me.  For a few minutes, I questioned myself; my purpose.  It’s a feeling that I have become very familiar with over the last several years.  For the first time though, I realized I didn’t like it.  It wasn’t just sad and uncomfortable anymore.  It was a burden. 

I looked at the clock.  Almost lunchtime.  I did a quick scan for who was logged into their computers.  I didn’t know where I needed to go or who I needed to see, I just knew that I had to go somewhere and see someone.  All of my go-tos were gone.  So, I got in the car and drove down the hill until I found an empty parking spot.  Turns out, the first spot I found was really close to the fourth floor of the Juliet Nichols Building. 

I parked.  Walked in the third floor entrance.  Climbed the stairs to the fourth deck, where, sure as shit, I found people.  Not just any people.   Real people.  Good people.  People not wearing uniforms, but you know, it was December 30th, so whatever.  There were people there.  People I had no idea that I needed so badly. 

The first stop I made was into the office of a friend who had just suffered the loss of a child in his family.  I walked in and hugged him and asked if everything was “OK?”  The question mark is appropriate.  Because when a family loses a child, nobody is OK.  He was silent at first and I kept waiting for him to respond.  Then out of nowhere, this precious, blond, seven year old with a tablet was hugging my waist and taking pictures of me with her new Christmas gift. As I entertained her by posing, she said “Don’t worry, when I’m done with these pictures, you won’t look anything like you do now.”  I looked at Andy, eyebrow raised.  He said “Don’t worry, she said that you look like you are 30.”  Aw…I love her the most. 

Just when I thought that I had done everything I needed to do was done, I walked out of Andy’s office, looking down.  While I was so overwhelmed love, good spirit and the sweet lies of a seven year old, I walked right into another dear friend.  Neither of us paying attention to where we were going, I heard him grumble something about the power in the building.  I backed up into Andy’s office, I hugged Tim, as he hollered over my shoulder “Call facilities.  I’m tired of the power tripping.”  Funny enough, he wasn’t talking about the power trips.  He was talking about the breaks in electricity that made the lights flicker in the building. 

I walked passed him again, heading back to the stairs, and said “You’re an electrician.  Fix that shit.”  He looked at me like I was a stranger and said “I don’t fix things anymore.  I fix people now.”  I rolled my eyes just enough to be funny and turned to go.  From over my shoulder, I heard “Why don’t you stop by for a minute?”

Some people I can make excuses with.  Tim isn’t one of those people.  In fact, he’s not even one of those people that I want to make excuses with.  So, I just followed him back to his office.  Before I even sat down, I had tears in my eyes.  I reached for a Kleenex, and he laughed…”Yeah, I keep a couple boxes in here.”  In my mind, I was thinking “Fuck you, brother. I don’t cry on command. I was crying before I walked in the door.”  Jerk.  That’ll teach him to expect when I cry. 

Anyway, I sat down and he asked me about what had been going on, as if he didn’t know.  He realized it was a stupid question, because he knew exactly what had been going on.  I finally said “I’m going to burn it all, Tim.  All of the hurt.  All of the defeat.  All of the bullshit.  I’m going to burn it.”  I’ll be quite honest, I expected him to look at me and say “FINALY!!!  You are going to let it all go.  FINALLY!!!”  That’s what I expected. 

When he finally spoke, it wasn’t the encouragement that I had expected.  It wasn’t the pep rally I had envisioned.  It wasn’t even a “Hey, good onya, sister!”  He looked me dead in the face and said “So, you have a bucket of shit that you want to burn.  Why don’t you have a barrel filled with everything you have done right?” 

I looked at him like he was crazy.  I was so mad that he didn’t acknowledge what a fucking monumental step it was for me to just let go of my demons that I almost walked right out of his office.  But he calmed me down.  He asked me a very simple question.  He stared me down and said “What have you done right?”  I was uncomfortable.   Finally I said “I have a job and I support my son.” 

I think those are pretty admirable qualities.  But Tim saw that even something as simple as those two things made me uncomfortable.  So, he followed my gaze out the window in his office.  “He said is there something outside that you are proud of?”  No.  Not at all.  I’d just rather look outside than look at you right now.  I can’t remember if I actually said that or was just entertaining my inner monologue.  Either way, he got where I was and said “You can tell me two things that you have done that make you worthwhile.  I have known you for three years and I can tell you twelve, off the cusp.  Probably a dozen more if I could think about it more.  Why don’t you start living, and not just surviving?” 

No words.  Again.  Nothing.  I.  HAD.  NOTHING.  We hugged.  I said thank you a bunch of times.  I left.  I made my way down the stairs, real cautious.  Because you need to be careful when you wear high heels and descend a stair case.  It’s just prudent.  But when I got to the car.  I sat there for a few minutes and thought “what the fuck was that?  Isn’t living surviving?” 

But it’s not.  You either live or you survive.  That eve of New Year’s Eve, I was reminded that living and surviving are NOT the same. 


-Inner Peas

No comments:

Post a Comment